30 April 2008

tax gas or not to tax gas, that is the question

I love this campaign rhetoric about suspending the tax on gas to help us poor, beaten consumers.

Let's see....a federal gas tax holiday this summer will cost the government approximately $25 billion.....or the equivalent of about 2 weeks in Iraq. It will save the average American approximately $25. Wow. I think on this one Obama has the right idea-suspension of the gas tax doesn't solve the problem-it just adds $25 billion to the national debt. But Hillary and McCain are embracing it. Election hype to get us to vote for them.

Indiana politicians aren't left out of this discussion. Jill Long wants a suspension of the state gas tax, along with a willing (I desperately need your vote) Mitch. Schellinger isn't biting but is painted as the bad guy, just like Obama. For the record, I think Jill is better qualified-she just has this one all wrong.

The fact of the matter is if the tax were removed tomorrow, gas prices would rise to the previous level within a week. Usually you see democrats rallying behind this issue, as O'Bannon did post 9/11. One of the dumbest things his administration did-and I liked him.

I'd rather see the feds stick $25 billion into R&D for sustainable development (pushing down the need for fossil fuels) and alternative fuel sources. But that doesn't buy votes, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are a nation of "pigs" cutting the gas tax for even a few weeks will do nothing! We MUST REDUCE CONSUMPTION!! It is NOT our national right to be so wasteful.....NO ONE ABSOLUTELY NO ONE needs to drive a HUMMER to the grocery store or to soccer practice! Gas Prices must remain high or higher so that we finally get the message!!!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...