15 April 2008

my conversation with God this morning

God & I had a little chat this morning. He sat me down around 6:00 and gave me this half-time locker room get your butt in gear talk:

HR?

Oh, now what God?

13 "HR, don’t you know that I’ve chosen you to be the salt of your community? If you lose your flavor, how is river city going to be seasoned? You'll be good for nothing except to be tossed aside and trampled under by those who choose to do harm."

You've gotten my attention, Sir.

14 "HR, let me tell you something, you are the light of this town; just like a city set on a hill can’t be hidden. 15 You wouldn’t turn on a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a table, to give light to everyone in your home. 16 You also, son, must let your light shine in river city, that folks will see the good work I’ve called you to and in it, recognize Me."

If you didn't recognize it, the passage above is out of Matthew 5. I landed in the Sermon on the Mount a couple months ago and have stayed there. I've picked up little insights here and there, but, for some reason, this morning went a little differently. I must admit, I've never read scripture before with putting myself into Christ's directives. It became very personal, very humbling.....and very encouraging.

I want to encourage you to go up and reread the passage putting yourself and your town in my place. Maybe God will show up in your locker room too.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...