02 April 2008

invitation to a Snipe Hunt

Wilson's Snipe

American Woodcock
I'm not sure outside of the Hoosier state how much of a phenomenon snipe hunting is. I know that we had great fun with our Michigan friends, who apparently didn't understand the concept of snipe hunting.

I remember the first time someone mentioned to me the great adventure of a snipe hunt, then ultimately gave the secret away. I've enjoyed hunting with friends with whom I've never shared the real fun of the adventure with.

The problem is this..........when you're a brainiac bird guy.........you understand full well that there really is such a thing as a snipe. In fact, on our recent hike to the wetlands, Bird Man and I had to make a determination if one fowl we saw was snipe or woodcock. We decided on woodcock. Wilson's Snipe is a for-real bird who winters in the Hoosier state, but is rarely seen due to its secretive behavior and remote habitat.

So, the next time you get invited snipe hunting, take it seriously. I've attached a picture of a snipe and woodcock for comparison. I was a little leery about googling pictures for the woodcock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bird Man here! HR do you suppose no one has responded to this one because they have been the victims of a Hoosier Snipe Hunt....burlap bag and all??

hoosier reborn said...

well, it could be that we are dating ourselves....I haven't heard of snipe hunts since college.

a whole new generation to dupe.

Unknown said...

I flushed a few snipe today while mushroom hunting. Southern IN Dubois county. I didn't know what we were looking for as kids on snipe hunts. I think what Insaw today were snipe, not woodcock. Not feeling up for googling woodcocks tonight, either.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...