08 April 2008

when the messenger kills the message

We've all heard it said, particularly in christian circles, "hey, I'm just the messenger" or "don't kill the messenger" when related to hard truths we are uncomfortable with.

But what happens when it is the messenger that kills the message?

Anyone who has been in church very long, understands this can happen so easily. We get to know the human side of the pastor or teacher and then all of a sudden his words have a lot less integrity.......somehow the truth seems, well, hypocritical from the source.

A friend of mine from Romania stopped me after service sunday and we talked for maybe 20-30 minutes about stuff. Sometimes I have a hard time getting his meaning to things because there's a bit of a language barrier...but somewhere-outa nowhere-he says something to this affect:

"so, my friend says to me, why do you let that guy playing guitar and speaking keep you from church?"

"because he's said some things about me that aren't true-he lies"

"church isn't about that guy, you go for God, not that guy"

So, my Romanian friend is back at church. And he had a timely message for me. The true source of the message we hear on Sunday mornings is from our creator. While there may be times we have to separate that message from the messenger, we should never deny truth.

We're all human. We all make mistakes and sometimes continue doing so despite constant confrontal and correction. I know often times I've screwed up the message by my actions as the messenger......and I ask for grace. But truth is truth-regardless of who says it. There's a reason why the truth of God has been around so long. It isn't human.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...