07 April 2008

shhhhh....don't pray so loud

I get together on occasion with a couple guys for breakfast on Saturday morning. They're fellow backpackers & faithful readers, so I hope they enjoy this reflection from this past weekend.

Not sure why, but more recently I've felt convicted about making sure we pray before meals when we go out. Our kids normally take turns giving thanks before meals, so now, they say grace over the white noise of pots and dishes clanking and other patrons around us. Most people still think it's sweet.

It seems like more often that not, I'm the one that offers to say grace when the 3 guys get together, but this time the tall guy jumped the gun and offered. He started in and I thought, dang, tall guy, we're sitting right here-we can hear you fine. But it wasn't that tall guy was abnormally loud......it's just that I'm abnormally quiet when dining out and offering grace.

I'm not sure why that is. I'm not ashamed, am I? God knows I've never had to tell people here in river city I'm a christian-they've just sorta figured that one out. So, prayer just naturally follows, right? Thanks tall guy-it was a good bro prayer!

At what decibel level do you pray when dining out? Do you?

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...