29 April 2008

I need more stimulus! Now!

It appears the hot topic around the water cooler and on the playground is.....what are YOU going to do with your economic stimulus check? whoaaaa, buddy! Let me tell you!

I plan to go to WalMart and buy a bunch of cheap junk manufactured in China, to boost their economy and further erode ours by shifting american jobs oversees so that fat cats at WalMart corporate can drive Hummers. Well, at least the Hummers are made locally. On second thought, maybe I'll just buy food and gas we can no longer afford.

This whole debate centered around what you are going to do with your $300 is silly. Now, as a family of 4 I think we're on the high end of $1200. Unlike the majority of other Hoosiers, I'm sure, we'll be sticking our check into savings and forgetting about it. It might just offset our increase in food, gas and heating costs over the last year.

I would be curious as to the billions of dollars the checks will cost the feds. I would like to see how many more days in Iraq it would buy (at $2 billion a day I think). A better use of the funds would be to spend those dollars on rebuilding our failing infrastructure........at least that would provide jobs in america and keep our bridges from killing us.

Sorry George, I'm not going to be patriotic and blow that check you're sending me. I'm doing the more conservative thing and sticking it away for when things really get bad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how does the story go give a man a fish and he eats for a day teach a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime?

PNW Hoosier said...

HR, I think you will probably receive about $1800....so you might be able to go buy a bunch of cheap crap at the big boxmart and save some. I shall be taking our "stimulus" check and satisfying a few outstanding bills, which is also not one of the ways that the Pres would like it used. Not only will you be getting an advance on next year's tax refund, Congress is actually trying to leverage another so called stimulus package from the administration in exchange for approving a trade pact with Columbia. As you know, I have long held that it is the gang of 535 in Washington that do more harm by being in office for multiple decades than any one person sitting in the WH for 8. Term limits for Congress anyone?

hoosier reborn said...

term limits for congress, mayor, city council, county commissioners and state reps & senators. everyone.

let's start a petition.

I was guessing low to be pleasantly surprised on my check. My understanding is that we'll be paying taxes on this stimulus check next year? or we'll just be getting less back...however you want to look at it.

Anonymous said...

Birdman here! we are all going to be spending our rebates on gasoline that just jumped from 3.54 to 3.75 on our corner here in River City while the oil companies are continuing to get 14 billion in tax breaks!!!!!!!!!! Ain't life grand!!

hoosier reborn said...

BIRD MAN!

I can't believe you'd be upset about the oil companies getting tax breaks! how else do you suppose they can afford to make giant campaign contributions to politicians!

we're gettin it in the rump at the pump!

PNW Hoosier said...

Although the oil companies are making a profit...after all, that is why they are in business, break down what you pay each level of government and the cost add up. Here in WA, the state alone collects .36/gallon.

vanilla said...

Yes, and yet what oil co. announced 7 billion in profits this quarter?
$7,000,000,000.00
I seem to recall that 'profit' means net after all the bills are paid.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...