01 May 2008

Green Oversight


I made an egregious oversight last week in that I did not make mention of either Earth Day or Arbor Day. Here in river city I am known as the chief tree hugger for reasons I will not go into here......although I will say it never involved chains.

There's nothing better than a grand old tree reflecting character, history and strength. And there are so many reasons why we should protect, plant and care for our trees in both rural and urban areas that I could start a tree blog on that alone. But instead I will let one of my most respected authors say it by poem.



Woods
by Wendell Berry

I part the out thrusting branches
and come in beneath
the blessed and the blessing trees.
Though I am silent
there is singing around me.
Though I am dark
there is vision around me.
Though I am heavy
there is flight around me.



For The Future
by Wendell Berry

Planting trees early in spring,
we make a place for birds to sing
in time to come.
How do we know?
They are singing here now.
There is no other guarantee
that singing will ever be.


From Collected Poems, 1957-1982. North Point Press, New York (1985). This poem first appeared in A Part (1980). Reknown essayist, poet, novelist and farmer, Wendell Berry is the author of more than thirty books and has emerged as an eloquent spokesman for conservation, common sense and sustainable agriculture. He lives and works with his wife, Tanya, on their farm in in Henry County, Kentucky.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tree-hugging Republican?

Was that the sound of Hilary Clinton's head exploding?

hoosier reborn said...

ah, there are a few of us tree-hugging republicans! Rumor has it that Hillary and or Bill are visiting river city today!

Oh boy!

May I link your site on HH? I enjoyed Sprill Mill Road today.

Anonymous said...

Bill is coming Saturday!!! Past or Present Republican Presidents so take for granted the support of River City and Marshall County that they never come here....so swallow your pride and be there on Saturday to witness a once in a lifetime event.

hoosier reborn said...

oh man you're asking for a lot from us river city republicans. I just pray we're civil!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...