18 April 2008

Great Shake of 08


WEST SALEM, Ill. (AP) — A 5.4-magnitude earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people up to 450 miles away early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor. The quake just before 4:37 a.m. was centered six miles from West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles from Evansville, Ind. It was felt in such distant cities as Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Des Moines, Iowa, 450 miles northwest of the epicenter, but there were no early reports of injuries or significant damage.

Evidently there was an earthquake this morning. Did you feel it at 5:37 am EST? I have to say, I was disappointed. I not only was awake, but out of bed and in the shower. I never felt it. My wife said she was awakened by it and at first thought it was a train-but she said the bed shook instead of swayed like it does with the train (no smart comments about the bed shaking).

I met a buddy for coffee and it was all the talk at the coffee shop. I believe our last quake was in 1987. Reports are that it caused skyscrapers in Indy to sway. There are a few fault lines in our dining room plaster ceiling and walls.....I didn't notice a substantial increase in these fault lines.

In all seriousness, I can't imagine the devastation that would occur if any part of Indiana was subjected to a strong quake-there would be nothing left of most of our main streets, downtowns and courthouses. So, where were you during the great shake of 08?

6 comments:

Penny Lane said...

As I said in my earlier post under the car comment, I felt the earth move and thought it was a train. My mother told me never to move to California - I would have loved living there - because it was going to fall into the ocean and I would drowned. How ironic it would have been if I had slid off my bed this morning into utter devastation and lost my life prematurely. When I met my Mom in Heaven, it would have been fun to tell her how wrong she was!

Anonymous said...

HH lets test your knowledge of geography....what is the pronunciation of "New Madrid" fault? Yes I missed it too...I remember the one in 87, we quickly called my Great Aunt in St. Louis to see if she had experienced any damage.

hoosier reborn said...

ok, I'll bite. I've only ever heard it pronounced like "mad-drid", but I have to believe it is more like the capital of Spain, Madrid.....or mu-drid.

I didn't look it up-too lazy.

Anonymous said...

HH I will give you a grade of B New "Mad-rid" fault.....and before you try to crack any regional jokes explain our Bremen, LaPaz, Argos, Leiters Ford!!!!!

hoosier reborn said...

hey, better than average! I once had a truck driver ask me how to get to na-PAW-nee.

I assume he had the right native american pronunciation.

hoosier reborn said...

How did I miss the aftershock at 11:15 too? Must be the extra cushion in my shoes.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...