08 April 2008

Hitting the road.....







If you ever plan to motor west, travel my way-take the highway that's the best. Get your kicks on.....yeah, you got it now, don't ya?

It's been 5 years since the family headed down historic route 66. And 5 years since we've taken a big family trip-but the fam is heading out west again, this time to the Rockies, and I am quite certain it will be even more enjoyable. Especially for our little girl who wasn't a year old yet last time.

I love old highways, as anyone who has read this blog can attest. I know the Lincoln Highway leads out west, but I think we'll interstate it this time. I love being out west-that's the more important thing. Something about the big open starkness, the mountains.....heading out on the road and the drive is as important as, or is the destination.

And there is something that can be said for getting out of Indiana. Don't get me wrong, I love this place, but there is a whole other world out there that Hoosiers need to experience. If for no other reason, than when the CBS news interviews you in front of the Golden Gate Bridge, you don't look like a slack-jawed yocal with a comment like this "that's near the craziest derned thing I've ever seen!" As was recorded this morning on CBS, with identifying text on the screen "Indiana Tourist"

yeah, this is why my friends in college poked fun at us. Pics from 66 at the top.

8 comments:

PNW Hoosier said...

Hey,....as long as you are heading this direction, you should just continue over the Rockies and the Cascades and join us in the PNW for a bit. Especially, since I am not sure when we will get back that direction since my trip last fall.

hoosier reborn said...

now wait a minute, since we are coming well more than half way to you-I think you should drive east a little and meet us in Yellowstone!

I don't think that driving further west will work into my days off this year.

PNW Hoosier said...

Oh, I see....nevermind the fact that I have made 3 to 4 trips all the way to IN since relocating and my lifelong friends have made....let's see....let me count..........ZERO, yep, that's the number.....of trips out here.
Seriously though, what time of year are you taking your trip this year? Due to J's wedding last fall and some sporting events that T was involved in this year, my vacation bank is quite paltry at the moment.

hoosier reborn said...

dude-ok-now who was it that decided to move about as far away from hoosierdom as you can get and still be in the us?

the Yellowstone/Jackson Hole itenerary is June 29-July 2. bring the fam!

PNW Hoosier said...

I only went when the opportunity presented itself. The wife is checking her schedule for those dates. I believe my vacation bank hours will recover by then, and I will have to check if anyone else is slated to be gone then, but will let you know.

hoosier reborn said...

sweet!

PNW Hoosier said...

Hey, I checked the vacation calendar and it looks pretty open during that timeframe. The wife is not sure what her schedule will look like and she also wondered aloud what your family would think if we crashed your vacation. At this point, I'm not sure if it will pan out or not. If not, you will just have to continue NW a bit.

hoosier reborn said...

well, it could seem a little harried-we would only be in Yellowstone one full day (part day in and part day out)..maybe that's not the best situation to hook up. But I doubt we're going to continue any further nw.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...