01 April 2008

Let's go for a hike

Saturday a friend and local birder.....let's call him the bird man......and I set out to hike some state wetlands near river city. This is the same guy from the owling incident. We had an impressive array of fowl sightings, so, for this bird log from the weekend I'm also including the cool ones we saw at the wetlands.

Wood ducks MF
Northern Saw-Whet Owl (this was an early morning visitor to our house)
Canada Goose 12
Mallard 4
Ring Necked Duck MF
Hooded Merganser MF
Cardinal 4
Juncos 5
Goldfinch 2
House finch 7
Mourning Dove 3
White Breasted Nuthatch 2
American Woodcock (more on this later)
Tufted Titmouse 2
Black Capped Chickadee 2
Crows 7
Turkey Vulture
Downy Woodpecker MF
Robin 2
Starlings 3
Blue Jay 2
Red Wing Blackbird 8
Grackles 5
Common Goldeneye 6
Hairy Woodpecker

All in all it was a good time. Bird Man said people wouldn't think it strange seeing two guys out in the woods if we were carrying guns, so I'm taking my great grandma's hunting rifle next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bird Man here! I think it was a good two hours spent. Birding is a form of "church" for me....the wonderous diversity that God has made for our exploration is amazing. Unfortunately many of us go through life having never really experiencing it. I appreciate your willingness to go along, it is more fun to share the discoveries with someone. Plus at my age if I fall and break something you can help me back to the car!!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...