11 April 2008

Hoosier & loser rhyme, unfortunately

I was always the anti-establishment kid wherever I landed. Still am today. I really didn't get into trouble-but, perfectly a gentleman who knew how to get the job done...kinda the way the Gambino family does. I certainly wouldn't consider myself......a........loser. Not in Indiana, anyway.

Then I went to a small private university in Michigan where only a handful of kids were from the midwest, let alone Indiana, and suddenly I didn't feel so cool. There were strange looking kids from the east and west coasts and from what seemed like every country under the sun. But I was the one who stuck out.

By the third year into my major I was in good with most everyone. I blended well, still conducting myself like the Godfather, but a little more hip. Then my friend Leo, who was a strange fellow with long hair from Brazil realized that one song's lyrics could be a lot of fun if you just traded loser for "Hoosier"

Dang it!

Leo was a big fan of Beck (remember them?) and had their Mellow Gold album which had the song "Loser" on it and he would play it over and over again. I didn't understand most of the lyrics, even as I look back and read them, but everyone in the studio had great fun singing....

Soy un perdedor
I'm a Hoosier baby, so why don't you kill me?

(Double barrel buckshot)

Soy un perdedor
I'm a Hoosier baby, so why don't you kill me?

Three years of work trying to be cool-down the drain. Funny thing is, I still find myself singing it often. And if you know the song, it will be stuck in your head too.

How about your Hoosier experience?


No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...