09 April 2008

yearning for a giant ball of twine

What makes us so fascinated with roadside oddities? Is it that they speak to a primal sort of need to explore the bizarre or is it just the break from the mundane and vanilla that we need on a 12, 24 or 48 hour trip?

I've been to the Blue Whale of Catoosa, OK, Wall Drug & the Corn Palace of SD, Paul Bunyan & Blue, the big ox of Bimidji, MN, and the Mystery Hole in WV and Mystery Spot in MI (both of which sound like something in my Men's Health Magazines).

I'm sure Indiana has our share of roadside oddities........but for whatever reason they aren't as prevalent in Rand McNally as other states. Help me out here.....what are some Hoosier curiosities? What are some of your favorite crazy road trip stops?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mentone Egg!

vanilla said...

"Old Ben" and the World's largest sycamore stump in Kokomo's Highland Park.

vanilla said...

Oh, and the World's largest ball of paint in Alexandria.

Have fun!

hoosier reborn said...

ok, I've heard of old Ben and the sycamore stump....never heard of the largest ball of paint!

the Mentone Egg-of course.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...