03 April 2008

ahhh Spring time in Indiana


Last weekend was just warm enough for the bulbs to start sprouting, crocuses bloomed and I found myself staring out the window eager to get outside and do some work. It even smelled a little like spring-you know, that fishworm smell. Ahhhhh.

We had gotten a delivery of saplings from the Arbor Day Foundation and they needed planted so I found a spot in the garden and began digging. Man, it felt good to get my hands in the soil! The layer on top was a little frozen yet, but I managed. We put in a little "victory garden" in our small backyard here in town. We really don't get much produce from it, but the kids especially like to do the planting and watch things grow. And I think that's important to experience since we are so far removed from where our food comes from anymore.

My wife has pledged to do more shopping at our farmer's market this year. It may be because I have threatened to dig up the remaining back yard for a full yard kinda garden. Wouldn't have to worry about mowing then.......just a lot of weeds.

Grant Wood is my favorite artist (American Gothic fame)-I think he captures Midwest life very well. Above is one of my favorite works of his because it is a great reflection of what happens in our back yard each spring, right here in river city.

This weekend's weather promises to be great-get out there and do some digging.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen the work of Thomas Hart Benton? Check it out. I spent the day yesterday celebrating my 50 plus birthday, out in the yard, no one else was home and the neighborhood was quiet. Just me the song birds, a sharp shinned hawk and one lone Sandhill Crane. The amazing thing about the cranes is the way their voices carry. They are always so high that when you hear one the best thing to do is look straight up first! The hawk was actually hunting on the ground in the neighbors bushes next to the house, first time I had ever seen that behavior in a hawk....what a day!!!

hoosier reborn said...

Benton's work is great too, always been more of a Wood guy myself. His work is a little more deco-stylistic, and I'm a big fan of art deco.

A sandhill crane? Are you sure? Are they flying back into the area?

Anonymous said...

Positive on the sandhill crane!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...