18 April 2008

Do we really believe this?

OK, let's see if this entry rattles some folks.
In case you've missed it, there has been a case filed against the state of Indiana by the ACLU for having "In God We Trust" on our license plates. Evidently the decision by the courts was that Indiana was not in violation of church and state.....yadda, yadda, yadda. Because they didn't force anyone to take the plates.

This I take issue with because we didn't request the In God We Trust plate...they just mailed it to us when we got our new car this year. So, by default we were forced to take it.

Now, before you send me hate mail. I do not condone what the ACLU did-that was stupid. I also don't condone the state of Indiana putting this phrase on our plates. The reason? We don't really believe it or live it in this state or country. Our family does.....but we don't need it on our license plate to let random motorists know we trust in our Lord and Savior, our Father, our Creator.

"oh hey, look, they trust in God......that's good...maybe I should bump them a little and test their trust! heh heh"

Evidently South Carolina suffers from the same need to place this on their plates too. The fact of the matter is that the phrase, In God We Trust, is misused and has lost its meaning. Just like saying God bless you when someone sneezes. Oh, we like to think that our country and state trust in God......but do we really?

Here's a comment left by someone after the court sided with the state:

Score one for what is right for a change. If anything is unconstitutional in this county or state it is this prejudice group of hemorrhoids. Tell the ACLU to just KISS THIS

Yeah, I bet this guy trusts in God........God must be real happy with you, sir.

How about if we put "Love your Neighbor" on our plates, or how about John 3:16? That wouldn't be as in your face as In God we trust, huh? Can't really wrap the flag around those. What would America look like if we did trust in God?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right on! My brother in law just had to have those plates on his vehicles and yet there isn't a traffic law he doesn't disobey everytime he gets behind the wheel of a car!!! I equate the "rush" to put that phase on our cars as similar to the move to change the name of french frys to freedom frys....it was done in response to a terrorist attack and the associated bigotry that went along with it! It's kind of like the over use of "GOD BLESS AMERICA" well I prefer to ask GOD ( he isn't just "ours" by the way) to BLESS THE WHOLE WORLD! so we can all live in PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...