18 July 2009

you might be at the 4-H fair if...



the only thing that outnumbers bib-overalls are the hogs

pork chops are a side with any entree'

politicians are wearing farmer's caps

& no one asks "what's that smell?"

It was 4-H Fair week and for the first time since I was a kid, we were a 4-H family again. My son took junior 4-H "gardening" and "forestry". We made the pilgrimage through each of the livestock barns, ate some stuff that's bad for you and enjoyed local musical talent. I think it's a wonderful thing to have something to remind us of our agricultural roots and the increasingly smaller number of folk who still get their hands dirty.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...