22 July 2009

the Sass & Poss

In 1995 I made my first trip to New Harmony, Indiana. I went with a group of students to soak in the well-executed interface of old and new architecture in this tiny little southwest Indiana town. Architecture students, just by their deference to cultural norms, tend to look-well-a little different....maybe even a little "metro". And of course, being college students away on break, their was the strong inclination for libations.

If you've been to New Harmony, then you'll understand there is a cultural rift between the locals and "Harmonists". Main Street establishments cater to one or the other and n'er the patrons intermingle; until that fateful October night in 1995.

The group I was with was lodging in the "barn" on the New Harmony Inn grounds. Late that Friday evening, after receiving a wonderful tour of the area, some of the guys strolled Main Street only to discover that nothing was open.....except for the Sass & Poss. This was the local watering hole-very local. It had a pool table and beer which was draw enough for the group I was with. As we entered the pub strange looks were cast our way; I feared most for my foreign colleagues. After the local patrons became at ease with us, they turned back to their mugs and continued conversation. This place was dark, dank and dusty. I don't frequent bars of any kind, really, but I imagine this to be at the bottom tier of such establishments. I needed to use the restroom and learned that you had to exit outside the back of the building in order to use the shanty built over a dirt floor.....and hold the door shut with one hand.

Once we left there the group split up. Those having had a more, or less, memorable evening at the Sass & Poss went one way while those of us who remained coherent joined up with more of the group and took a very late night, and not all-together decent, dip in the inn's outdoor pool. Reports came in the morning of the adventures the remaining Sass & Poss'ers had that included playing on large machinery at a construction site and a private tour of off-limits locations of the Antheneum. A great time was had by all.....even the locals warmed up to my less-than-American looking friends.

On a return trip to New Harmony last fall my wife and I walked by the old Sass & Poss which appeared to only recently have been closed, or maybe condemned. I couldn't help but think back those many years ago and wondered what would become of the local watering hole. Probably a boutique.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Sass & Poss building is now a trendy Italian restaurant, where locals like myself seldom go. The carpetbaggers have eaten the town and the only thing locals have left is this local internet message board. :-) WWW.NewHarmonyWatch.Com

hoosier reborn said...

Harmony,
That's unfortunate. No town can survive or maintain its local identity based on what outsiders want. Even the old Sass & Poss had its place! Now, being an outsider, my wife and I spent our honeymoon there and have returned a number of times. Best of luck, you've got a gem of a town!

lovethesunshine said...

The new Italian restaurant is called "Samual's Place". It is owned and ran by some very nice people. I am a "local" that frequents this new place often. It is a great place to go. Anyone who lives here is (now) a local. There is a lot more to see, do, read, and enjoy other than the newharmonywatch web page. New and old businesses are a great asset to this community. As my very wise Grandparents used to say, "It takes all kinds to make the world go around". We have a lot of wonderful people that live here. Come visit sometime!!!!!!!!!

hoosier reborn said...

love the sunshine,

thanks for tip on the old sass & poss...no doubt my wife and I will be back. We love New Harmony and I've given it kudos a few times on this blog.

thanks for stopping by Hoosier Happenings.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...