04 July 2009

Short stop: Cataract Falls



Once we left McCormick's Creek and headed north to Turkey Run, I realized we would have a little time to kill. Having passed by the sign for Cataract Falls State Recreation Area several times on Highway 231, it seemed only justifiable to stop this time. It was only about 5 miles west of 231 and I'm glad we made this stop.

Cataract Falls is billed as the largest waterfall in Indiana. Not the tallest falls, that honor goes to Williamsport. Cataract Falls has the largest volume of water pouring over it....and it also appears to be the widest falls that I have seen in Indiana. There is an upper and lower falls. The lower falls appeared to be a popular fishing spot.



Another feature of the small area is the covered bridge designed by the Smith Bridge Company. Evidently a rarity, the truss system is constructed of a series of "X" members, a technique more popular in steel bridge design. Isn't there something about a covered bridge that just demands you stop and walk across it?


I also found this Mail Pouch Tobacco sign interesting. Seems like a natural way to advertise your product, nail your sign to a covered bridge timber. Has anyone ever seen one of these?

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...