15 July 2009

shadow walking


Do you remember as a kid trying to walk on your shadow? Or maybe you were afraid of it and tried to run away only to find that it found you? I remember standing in the path of the sun and doing crazy things with my arms and legs to watch the resulting formation in the shadow cast on the ground. I also remember the cartoons when the caricatures would discover their shadows then become at ease only to realize it wasn't their shadow at all.

It seems I've lost my fascination with shadows as I grow older, except for a few times lately while I had my camera in hand and was attempting to be acutely aware of my surroundings. I started to think then, what are the shadows I'm leaving against this world? Are they of security, strength?

Then I was reminded of this passage:

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

Shadows are all around us. Shadows from our past, or other people's past. We see the results of past wounds and victories in our lives; we see the hand of those who have helped to shape our lives. We hear from time to time about "standing in the shadows of those who came before us" as an honorable and appreciative way of acknowledging those who had the forsight to make for us a better life.

Imagine how big God is to be able to cast a shadow large enough to cover us. Can you see a history of His hand at work in your life? Has God cast a shadow in which you now stand? Are you resting in the shadow of the Almighty?

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...