02 June 2008

Bird Log-6/1/08

With a few unusual feathered visitors over the last week, I thought our bird log might be of interest to some readers. Particularly interesting were the pair of Swainsons Thrushes that hung around for about a week and the Wood ducks who roosted briefly in the big tree at our rental cottage behind us.

Swainsons Thrush 2
Goldfinch 4
House Finch 4
Cardinal 4
Mourning Dove 2
House Wren 2
White Breasted Nuthatch
Starlings (!$%&*! - eating my suet!) 6
Downy Woodpecker MF
Red Bellied Woodpecker
Chipping Sparrow 2
Robin (!$#%*! - eating our strawberries!) 4
House Sparrow 6
Blue Jay 2
Tufted Titmouse 2
Chimney Swift 8
Grackle
Hummingbird
Catbird 2
Wood ducks MF
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose 2
Turkey Vulture 3

I realize the picture of the thrush is a little grainy-kinda like Bigfoot footage, but it's for real. My folks and us are in competition as we phone anytime we have a new or unusual sighting. I finally trumped them when I said we had a Bald Eagle on our suet cake......I don't think they believed me. We particularly appreciate the return of the Chimney Swifts because they keep down the mosquito population. They nest/roost in a large brick chimney on an old brick Italianate house two houses down and they are fun to watch.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...