23 June 2008


There are few places in which I have stood that the shear history and depth of the place wooed me into a sort of revered and somber state. Such was the case upon my visit to Independence Hall, several years ago.

I happened to be in Philadelphia with family and encouraged a visit to both Valley Forge and Independence Hall. I tend to be a lingerer......that is, someone who stays back after the tour group moves on to the next room. I did this in the chambers where the Declaration of Independence was signed. It was a hot July day and my younger cousin was anxious to move on, but I insisted we hold back......we wait until everyone was out of the room. Then, in the silence.....close your eyes and imagine what happened in that room over 200 years ago. Breathe in deeply........now open your eyes.

Remarkable really. Treason for sure.

Revolution.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...