16 May 2008

Social Justice-now that's a big one!

Did not your father eat and drink and do justice and righteousness? Then it was well with him. He judged the cause of the poor and needy;then it was well.

Is not this to know me? says the Lord.

But your eyes and heart are only on your dishonest gain, for shedding innocent blood, and for practicing oppression and violence.

Jeremiah 22:15-17

Powerful words to read this morning. I can't pretend to do the topic of social justice...justice in one entry. I am encouraged to see more christians understanding and embracing social justice issues........I think Jesus would have, because he did & his directives were to do the same. It is encouraging to see the newly adopted "evangelical manifesto" address such topics as poverty, environment and violence. This is, I hope, the church emergent. It is long overdue for many of our evangelical churches.

I recently landed on a site called God Politics at http://www.blog.beliefnet.com/godspolitics/ and an entry by Derek Webb called "Jesus Following vs. Social Activism".....good stuff. I'll follow this up with my life verse on another entry....Micah 6:8.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...