15 May 2008

one thing we do well




If there is one thing we Hoosiers do well, it is dressing up like folks from 100+years ago. How many re-enactment villages, military encampments, homesteads, etc. do we have in our old state?
What's the allure? Is it the fashion statement? Is it the opportunity to let our craziness come out, kinda like at Halloween? We always attend Fulton County Historical Society's Red Bud Rendezvous (April) and Trail of Courage (September)........mostly because I absolutely love hearing bagpipes. But often my wife and I look at each other and wonder.......who are these people?

Don't get me wrong. I love it. Hey, you want to walk around in deer skin chaps, feel free. I'd appreciate it if you wore something underneath, though. Sometimes I suggest to my beautiful wife that we need to pack up and travel with these folks, like carnies or groupies. The kids would love it. Or, at least, let me buy some cool duds to walk around river city in.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I too enjoy re enactment festivals, I find there are two kinds of people who "play dress up" those who are true students of history and who have family connections to the time period and then there are those who just like to run around bare foot stinky and unshaven for a weekend..not unlike what they do the other five days of the week!

hoosier reborn said...

hahaha!

and it is at that point my wife would say, no, we will not become like these.

I've portrayed a union soldier with a buddy and it was a lot of fun, but I don't see a future in it.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, if somebody came up to me dressed in deerskin chaps, shook my hand, and told me he was running for mayor, based on chutzpah alone I'd vote for him even if he was a Democrat!

Anonymous said...

There you go HR....dress up, change parties and you are in like flint!

hoosier reborn said...

I'm thinking kilt & bagpipes.

Anonymous said...

just keep thinking it, I don't know about others but I don't want to see it!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...