17 August 2007

Batman & Barbie, bad for you

Today is my daughter's birthday. My wife went to the store last night to let my son pick out a gift for his sister's birthday. While they were at the store, I received a call from the grandparents who were standing in a Target store-asking for an opinion on what to buy. They said the shelves were pretty empty.

My wife came home and said the same thing. Was it the latest toy recall? I couldn't help but notice all of the toys in our house on the recall list as I scrolled, and scrolled and scrolled down the long list of Polly's, Batmans and Barbies up for recall. Toys from China: I think we need to lay blame not on China, but on our own American creed of cheaper is best.......always low prices, always (where have I heard that?). Frankly, Wal-Mart has forced this upon us-if American companies want to compete with the Chinese in toy production, they need to do it cheaper-which means, out-sourcing to China. It's a slippery slope that leads to substandard products. As you've probably guessed already, I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart.

I have another theory........it just may be China's way of creating an atmosphere of discontent among our children-for the capitalist, democratic way of life. Then they'll swoop in and solve our problems with their communist system. Hmmmmm.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least this is no mention of electronic gadgetry in your childrens toy boxes!! What is amazing to me is that Capitalists have successfully made it seem foolish to want to BUY AMERICAN! It is actually unpopular to support American Workers as if they collectively are the problem! Perhaps American CEO's with huge salaries, golden parachutes, emormous stock option plans and sweet health insurance plans should take some of the heat!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...