03 March 2008

is that a yellow rump I see?

It was a lazy weekend around the ol' homestead. With little else to do, we once again turned our attention to our feathered friends. We had a new visitor which is always nice to see. Uncertain of the species at first, finally I settled on Yellow-Rumped Warbler; which is also fun to say. Here's our log from the weekend, 19 species total:

Yellow-rumped warbler F
Hairy Woodpecker F
Downy Woodpecker MF
Red Bellied Woodpecker MF
White Breasted Nuthatch 2
Red Breasted Nuthatch
Northern Flicker
Starlings 10
Cardinal MF
Crows 4
Canada Goose 6
Mallard
Pigeon 2
Mourning Dove 2
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse
House Sparrow 8
House Finch 4
Juncos 4

The whole "yellow rumped" terminology made me think of another story I'll tell on my dad. They have a lot of chipmunks at their house and as a kid-they would simply be blown away. However, now, evidently either a more compassionate or slightly less than better aim, father resorted to capturing the little critters and driving them to a state park to release them. But, the numbers never seemed to decrease. So, thinking that the chipmunks were possibly hitching a ride and coming back home, my dad used orange surveying spray paint to mark the behinds of the little guys to see if indeed they had wandered back home.

I have yet to hear if the brightly colored orange-rumped chipmunks made it home. It is very possible, though, a naturalist at Potato Creek believes he has found a new species of the rodent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what no Robins? I had one in the yard all day yesterday. How long do you suppose we will have to wait for that first robin photo in the local blab sheet....a good birder knows that not all robins leave the area or that they are replaced by those from the north.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough I had a dream about seeing a robin-kinda like, hey, I'm watching for eagles and all I saw is a robin.

I haven't seen any robins around this winter-compared to last year, that's very strange. I assume they'll come out soon.

HR

Anonymous said...

you live so close to the river I am surprised that you haven't seen any robins yet??? Many of them stay along the river bank during the winter where they can still find food in the muddy river banks.

Anonymous said...

That's what is so strange. Last winter, and previous winters we had a small flock of about 8 that stayed in the neighborhood around the river.

HR

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...