25 March 2008

I spoke too soon

When I reviewed our mail after work yesterday I found two slips from the county assessor's office for our properties. "Annual trending report" is what they called it; it showed our assessments on the properties went up by nearly $10,000 combined. This upward shift, based on the governor's property tax RELIEF plan, will cause our overall taxes to go up between $135-$155 now. And this is just the first year........should we see "trending" follow the same course, do we just add $100 every year on top of what was paid the year before? Ouch!

Does that make sense? Property tax relief will end up costing more?

That's how it works with Governor Daniels. My stomach already turns at his ads and they just started yesterday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I hate to say I told you so! But those who can least afford to pay, will be hauling the freight! Wait until you see what cities and towns will have to do a few years from now with the local income tax! You may have to pay a toll to drive or walk accross that new Michigan Street Bridge!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I fear substantial increases in water, sewer and other municipal fees to make up for the state shift of tax burden to municipalities...maybe even park fees!

It would stand to reason within a few years increases will put us nearer the $600 figure I originally projected.

They won't charge folks to drive over the bridge because 75% of the cars are from out of town and how dare we ask them to help pay for our infrastructure! I can just wade across.

HR

Anonymous said...

The city should either annex wide areas or all of the two mile zone or the entire county should consider incorporating... you know UNIGOV! What asset of the people will Mitch propose to sell next?

Anonymous said...

That's an easy answer....the state parks.

HR

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...