24 March 2008

In(diana) Harmonie


One of my favorite places in Hoosierland is the tiny historic town near the southwest point of our state, on the banks of the Wabash, New Harmony.

Steeped in culture rich in history and art, this little town has much to offer the visitor from its historic architecture dating to its founding in 1814 to the modern designed by world renown architects. While there are amenities for the casual visitor, it is not touristy in the least. If you visit, plan to just take it easy........long walks, strolls through gardens, incredible dining.........and just time for contemplation.

A fellow named George (Father) Rapp founded the town as an experimental, spiritual communal village in 1814. Failing to isolate his followers from the outside world and finding internal struggle, he sold the town to Robert Owen from England who sought to create a Utopian society basking in art, literature, and education in 1825.

I have visited in summer and fall........I recommend visiting in the fall to more thoroughly saturate your senses. Dine at the Red Geranium or the Yellow Door Tavern. Guests at the New Harmony Inn can check out a variety of books from the complex's library housed in an old depot. Also visit the Harmonie State Park for a long hike and make your way down to the Wabash River. I also recommend spending some time in the roofless church.

My visit with a college class in 1995 was enjoyable.......I had to corral buddies who visited the local watering hole-the Sas & Pas after we snuck up to the the roof garden of the atheneum. Shortly after the Sas & Pas, we posted scouts at the doors of the Inn's indoor pool housed in its own building........I'll not mention why we posted scouts, but we felt it was necessary for us and potential swimmers alike.

Later, I took my new bride to the quaint little town and we made our own memories there.
For more information visit www.usi.edu/hnh/harmonist.asp

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...