31 March 2008

Investment (in souls) 101

I was unusually squeamish in church yesterday. I blame Don Miller-author of Blue Like Jazz-along with some recent "church issues" my wife & I have been dealing with.

The sermon was essentially entitled "investing in others". Which up to a few months ago-I'da been fine with. But, I have to say since reading Blue's concept of "investing" vs. loving, that term kinda hurts my ears during service.

So, as Christians, we're supposed to "invest" in others? It is hard to argue faced with our materialistic more is better society that "investing" is a good thing......sounds like a responsible christian sort of thing to do. But are we actually called to "invest" or are we called to love? If I remember correctly it was love your neighbor, poor, etc. not determine your portfolio of investments for the kingdom..........hmmm, give me 2 shares of poor, 5 shares of neighbors and just one share of people on the street.......that one's a little risky, but could pay high dividends if I got my hands dirty.

How often do you crack open your portfolio or check your mutual funds for companies you desire to have a relationship with, that you love? Wal-Mart might be a smart investment..........but I hope you don't "love" it. Do you? Please tell me you don't. If you do you are no longer welcome at HH.

Noooooo...........we're called to love regardless of paybacks or dividends. Love is building relationships, getting dirty, carrying one another's burdens. Wal-Mart can't do that! Don't cheapen God's greatest commandment of loving your neighbor by tying it to the root of all evil! Just love-expect NOTHING in return.......I think that's more biblical than investing.

Gee, I hope my pastor doesn't read my blog.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...