30 December 2008

3 R's of New Years: Regrets, Rewards, Resolutions

RESOLUTIONS

I don’t usually set New Year’s resolutions, but I’m going to give it a try this year. Coming off a good year, I don’t want to see 2009 flip with more regrets than rewards. So I need to actively pursue some things…..and I’m sure, like with 08, God’s hand will be in it all.

I do hereby resolve to:

Resolution #1: Read more. I read a ton of books in 2007 and slacked off by about March last year. Reading does so much to allow you to grow, giving great fertilizer for new ideas, better ways to live, and maybe better a perspective to view the world around you.

Resolution #2: Pray more. Back at the end of 2007 I was terror on my knees. I believe regret #3 at the beginning of 08 rattled my faith and it’s taken a while to get back. I think, even at the cost of some of my time reading the Word, it is time to step up praying for the people in my life. I have a book with about 60 names of people written in it I used to go through religiously and I’ve slacked off. I believe prayer to be the most effective first step to any kind of decision or ministry……..but what follows must be:

Resolution #3: Action. I want to step up my obedience to what God calls me to. We know that He constantly puts opportunities in our paths to serve others, to be His hands and feet. I want to act on these like never before. And this includes being deliberate about developing and enjoying friendships-possibly one of the most valuable things granted to us.

Resolution #4: Spend better time with the kids. Not just, yeah, I’m here kinda time, but really molding them into incredible kids. We are blessed to have a couple of tremendously talented, gifted kids and I don’t want to stifle that or ever feel their dad wasn’t there for them. This will take some real deliberate effort. And probably a lot of patience on my part.

Resolution #5: Abs. Yes, I want killer abs. If I don’t put this in, then I won’t be reminded of it. With workouts becoming more regular and seeing great results, having the OCD personality I do, I'm driving hard core to better develop the 6-pack. It would be nice to have this by the shirts-off summer season….so, buddies out there who read this, be on my butt constantly.

I’m putting all this out there so that I can be held accountable and will be happy to report on the results. And don’t worry, blogging is just a given; many, many more posts to follow regarding the mundane life in Hoosierdom.


Happy New Year!

May God’s blessings be on you all this year and may all your resolutions be fulfilled.

4 comments:

Kestrel said...

Maybe the abs are a stretch!!!!

hoosier reborn said...

no way! this sounds like a challenge.

Anonymous said...

I gave up on my abs years ago. They are entirely resistant to any amount of workout I throw at them. I am doomed, doomed I say, to having a flabby belly. I can thank my father for this; he's built the same way.

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but lately I have made as goals to do things that help me build trust in God's provision for me, and to work on remembering peoples' names, esp. now that I've started a new job.

hoosier reborn said...

how is that new job going? I should have stuck something about the Michigan Road in here as a resolution....

people's names-I am TERRIBLE about that.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...