12 December 2008

foggy memory


I had the awesome pleasure of making a pilgrimage back to my Alma mater yesterday, Andrews University, in Berrien Springs, MI. I took my camera with me to record the event, but got so caught up in reminiscing that when I got in my car to come home, dusk had settled in and these are the resulting pictures.
I scheduled lunch with a fellow classmate & architecture alum, Will, and we dined at the downtown diner I ate most of my meals at....the Daybreak. When we walked in, we were the only patrons. Many of the menu items were the same-but I no longer saw my breakfast staple-grits. We hung out there for nearly 2 hours-during which time a table of old guys came in and I said to Will-I think those are the same group of guys who used to come in, only 15 years older. We also struggled a little with where to sit since the new table arrangement relocated our big corner table to the center of the room....I asked the waitress if I could move it back.

Catching up with Will was great. I've since dropped the "y" from the end of his name and I'm sure he appreciates it.

Then I headed over to the architecture building where I had scheduled coffee with two other alums, now teaching in the department....Troy and Andrew. It was so great walking through the halls and studios and hearing the students refer to these guys who are younger than me, as Professor. We were headed back to the Daybreak for coffee, but it had closed, so we went across the street to a loosely termed "pub" which used to be Arno's, but now is TJ's??? Still, great to catch up.

We came back to the archi dept. and I wanted to see if one of my professors was still there-Lew. He was, and we had a great time catching up. I had to make a pilgrimage past the slum I lived in during those college days, along with Berrien Springs' most recognizable landmark, the old courthouse. I've not posted much about college days, but my time at Andrews truly began to change my perspective on things. The corner table at the Daybreak was as much a classroom as any space on campus. Man, although the memories tended to be a little foggy, it felt good to be back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you drive up there on the old highway or take the four lane? What a death trap that old road was before they finally got the new one built!

Anonymous said...

ps. when I lived and worked in that area there were bumper stickers that read...Pray for me I drive US31

hoosier reborn said...

when I first started, all there was was the old highway! I didn't think it to be too dangerous... I consider u.s. 31 south of south bend to be far worse. Of course, do we need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to fix it, or just enforce the speed limit?

Anonymous said...

friend, yes Mitch lied about a lot of things and now that sales tax revenue won't come close to meeting the needs, many of his pork barrel "get me re-elected" programs are going to have to be moth balled.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...