02 January 2009

the Traveler's Gift

Starting my New Year out right, and trying to fulfill my resolution to read more, I picked up a book at our downtown bookstore December 30th and finished it January 2. It was a choice between three books: Garrison Keiler’s new novel from Lake Wobegon, a reflection of the election by Huckabee and this book, by Andy Andrews-of which I knew nothing, only had recognized the title. What sold me on it? It’s price was closer to the amount of store credit I had from Christmas 07.

It’s a remarkable book really; kind of a historical fiction meets A Christmas Carol. And it really was hard to put down. In the book the traveler, David Ponder, having found himself in utter despair, finds himself hurdled back in time jumping from significant figure to significant figure, such as Lincoln and King Solomon to name a few. With each visit Ponder is given a scroll or note describing a way to “rethink” his position in life assuring success will follow.

I couldn’t help but “ponder” my own lot in life and how some of the scrolls spoke directly to my spirit that if only was applied would release the kind of man I believe we all want to be. This probably was no coincidence that the Traveler’s Gift was the first book I’ve read in this New Year. My only disappointment in the book came in chapter 10 when Ponder’s last voyage was his own future. I found it a little self-serving and would actually recommend you skip that chapter, except that there was one very poignant part. It was the reference to the passage describing how God puts a hedge of protection around us. It is beautifully related to the remainder of the text and reminds us that nothing…..nothing…..can harm us until we have completed the purpose that God has for us in this world.

In Jeremiah God declares “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Now to just live life as if we believe it! I really, highly recommend reading this one.

2 comments:

vanilla said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into the Andrews book. You made a good choice. Although I've been a Keillor fan for many years, I find his latest novel less than gripping. It does not measure up to one's expectations.

hoosier reborn said...

I found the one book of his I read a few years back also disappointing, as was the movie. A glass of wine on Saturday night listening to the show is the best, and I've heard him in person too.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...