22 December 2008

real men hug trees

Having been known as river city's chief tree hugger has pushed me to the far left side of right. But now I can say I told you so to back up my claims that protecting and planting trees ain't just good for us tree huggers, but good for men's health too.

Having been an avid reader of Men's Health magazine for years I switched a short time ago to reading everything online at http://www.menshealth.com/ . But, I picked up the latest issue the other week on an errand to get onions and bread and have been working my way through it when I found the article entitled "Spruce up your immune system". Evidently Japanese researchers have found that a simple hike in the woods can boost your immunity because all trees release airborne chemicals called phytoncides that not only protect their foliage from microbes, but also help to stimulate our own immune systems.

this is the only known pic of me actually hugging a tree, although with another election, I'm sure more will surface


Hmmm. So, let me get this straight, the fewer trees we have on the planet with an increasing population may just cause widespread pandemics due to a loss of immunity. Yah know, God made things the way He did for a reason.....maybe we should be more concerned about protecting His creation than worrying about the spread of capitalism that generally runs counter-productive to the environment. Not that it has to; it just normally does. Particularly around the Midwest. All the more reason to plant trees fellow river citites, and protect our forests, Hoosiers.

2 comments:

Kestrel said...

Hey all that work NIPSCO did hacking down tree after tree in the Plymouth Area this past summer really paid off....my power was off half of Saturday and almost all of Sunday! Why didn't the local tree committee require them to replant a tree in the park or someone in town for everyone they cut down???? OH and have you coined a new word citite??

hoosier reborn said...

why? I'll tell you why....because the men in charge of river city haven't the brain capacity to either understand/appreciate the value of the natural environment nor do they understand the leverage they can exert over NIPSCO. The two of which combined results in the further decline of the quality of life in river city...but then when only the puppert mayor lives in the city and all his handlers/enablers live outside, should we expect any different?

I think NIPSCO would argue that they should have done more cutting. Oddly, where less aggresive cutting was done, there was less interuption in service.

hmmmm.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...