27 December 2008

Gifts

I think the older I get, the easier I am to please with gifts. My mom and my wife probably don’t think so…..but I believe I’m probably most easy to buy for these days.

I mean, really, these were the highlights of my Christmas gifts this year:

Long Underwear. My mom called one morning and asked for gift ideas; I said, mom, really, don’t get me anything. I don’t need and I don’t want anything. As soon as I hung up the phone it came to me. Long underwear-I would love to have another pair of long underwear-so I called her back. Bingo-Christmas morning at my folks a pair of long undies to keep me warm. And closely associated with them...

Waffle shirts: I love these things. I practically live in them now and have figured out how to get about three wearings out of each one before it goes to the laundry. Thankfully, probably for all involved, I've added four more to my collection this Christmas so there will be greater rotation between shirts & wearings I'm sure.

Bird Count Book. Our family (at least dad and the kids) are birders. The kids made a special gift for dad this year….a family bird count book, complete with pictures downloaded inside of all the birds we’ve seen in 2008 and lines under to record new sightings in 09. I love it and the kids were so proud.

A Christmas Story ornament. Note previous post: I love the movie a Christmas Story with Ralphy. Mom got me an ornament with the four-eyed little guy in stocking cap and his buddies pictured in a vintage tv frame.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day. My brother got me this book by Batterson which I have been dying to read. I have one chapter down and already am thinking about how to apply it to some ministry opportunities.

And one special gift from an anonymous source in our church: 30 $5 gift certificates to our downtown coffee shop with a note of appreciation attached. You see, I frequent this place when I get together with one of the youth or 20 somethings I work with at our church. Add to this my in-laws' gift certificates from both Starbucks and DQ and that adds up to a whole lot of opportunities to get together with these kids. How cool & what a blessing!

Then there are the intangible gifts. A white Christmas. Videos from nearly 20 years ago-seeing my gramps and grandmother laughing at their last Christmas. Smiles on my kids’ faces and looks of astonishment over the cookie mess. Watching Scrooge late Christmas night with my wife. Just being with family. Listening to my son read Luke 2 for our family Christmas. Knowing Christ.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...