29 December 2008

3 R's of New Years: Regrets, Rewards, Resolutions

REWARDS

2008 marked the end of a relatively long public service career (long for a 40 year old). For the first time since I moved to river city I was no longer on any public board or city council. Reward #1: getting my life back. I no longer had to sit through meeting after meeting where many fellow board members weighed things on politics and not on what was right for people. It was a bigger burden lifted than what I had realized while involved. With this new found freedom I also gave up any presentation of local news, which has only helped lessen my stress level. It also allowed me to speak my mind, which maybe is most relieving.

Reward 2: entering the year a new man. While the workouts may have slacked off somewhat during the course of 2008, at the beginning of the year I was at my height and the results were enough to keep me motivated during the course of the year, even to the point where I ran for a stint. I’m back into a decent regiment of exercise and am near my height a year ago, giving me a great spring board for 2009.

Reward #3: the spiritual retreat. In February I stole away for a few days, locked up in a cabin in the woods in east central Indiana. Between the preparation for the weekend, and the actual time there, I learned a great deal about myself and it became a "clearing" to deal with the upheaval to follow in 08. And it also was the catalyst for a new friendship that emerged, which in itself was rewarding.


Reward #4: the big family vacation out west. This was invaluable for our family, even with the uncertainty of employment looming, as a family we had talked about and planned the trip for months in advance. We had a wonderful time seeing so much of the country and becoming closer as a family that has given us fringe benefits even today.

Reward #5: leaving my job. Without a doubt, the biggest rewards coming out of 2008 followed the decision to leave my job. It may have been 2-3 years overdue. I didn’t realize the constant state of stress (not that the workload was stressful) or angst I felt until it was gone. A remarkable burden taken off my shoulders is what it felt like, and I haven’t quit smiling since.

Reward #6: starting my own business. Obviously tied to leaving my job, starting my own business specializing in residential design and working with communities and organizations to develop their historic preservation goals has been an incredible breath of fresh air. While I understand the uncertainty that goes along with this leap of faith, God has blessed beyond expectation. I actually “work” less, enjoy it more, have wonderful relationships with clients who have an appreciation for the skill or set of principles (counter culture to river city), it allows me time to pursue other opportunities, utilizes my business degree and background, gives me more time with my wife and kids, and lets me go to work in my pajama bottoms. Life is Good.


Reward #7: working with our youth group and developing a 20’s class at church. I never had the desire to work with youth until I married my wife and by default assisted for 5 years. The opportunity was presented again this summer and I agreed. I think it keeps me younger. I’ve had both good and frustrating times, but I’m focusing on small steps made in kids’ lives and the mentor relationships developing. The same is true for the 20’s class. It’s been great seeing young people who had disengaged themselves from the church reconnect and find value in meeting together…..and I’ve made some great friends out of it.

Reward #8: becoming reacquainted with old friends. On Facebook either I have found, or have been found, by long lost college friends and roomies-one in Norway. This has been a great tool to reconnect and has even resulted in one of my buddies coming down from Michigan with his family in a few days….we hadn’t talked in 15 years! I also found myself cleaning out some files that led me to old email addresses I figured were no longer viable. Not so, as the three messages I sent off were all responded to. One old friend, living in San Fran, responded immediately and we hadn’t talked in 10 years. Married, expecting a baby……how cool. And will be back in the area for his 20 year at Culver Military, with plans to get together.

There are probably more that I’m forgetting, but you get the point. 08, for all its crazy turns, will go down as a great year, full of optimism for the future.

2 comments:

PNW Hoosier said...

HR,

Hey,

I just received word that my grandfather passed away this morning. I thought I should let you know since he frequented the truck stop a lot when we were kids. I am not sure if I will be able to make it into town for the service at noon on Friday at Johnson's. If I can, I will let you know.

PNW

hoosier reborn said...

sorry to hear that. A sure sign we really are getting old(er). Let me know if you're coming into town.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...