26 December 2008

perpetuating the jolly old elf

Christmas morning. I'm up at 6:00 a.m. for a quiet cup of coffee and listen to a few carols before the scamper and clatter of kids begins. 6:30 a.m., I hear the first rumblings. The boy is up. I have but minutes now to my quiet morning.

Christmas Eve, about 11:15 p.m. with head on my pillow, I hear a ka-thud on the roof. Things are quiet for a few minutes until my wife says.....oops, the kids forgot to leave milk and cookies for Santa.


Uh oh.
So, when the kids came down Christmas morning, what do you suppose they found? That's right, Jolly ol' St. Nick and his helper elves went on a cookie binge after riffling through our kitchen for cookies.......and had made quite a mess on the dining room table. Every bag, box and container of Christmas cookies we had were spread all over the table........cookies out and crumbs everywhere.

This isn't the first time we had a mess left by the bearded fat guy. A few years ago it seemed that Santa landed on our porch roof, just outside our bedroom window. And there, along with reindeer tracks in the snow was a little reindeer pooh left behind by Rudolph. I told the kids if we ever woke up to that again, Santa wasn't welcome at our house anymore.

It seems next year we'll need to leave a note to remind the old guy to clean up after himself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great memories for your family. Enjoy. Before you know it, the kids grow up and fly off to warmer climates for the Holiday, leaving Mom in the ice and snow. Yesterday, my daughter - who is in Florida and LA (lower Alabama) -said she was HOT and wearing a tank top! Poor kid. Happy New Year's!!

hoosier reborn said...

well, it WAS nearly hot yesterday! I'm instilling a sense of cold-hardiness in our kids so they never leave for some place warmer.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...