20 December 2008

the creeper

Anyone growing up with Scooby Doo knows who "the Creeper" is, right? Well, the creeper makes an appearance at our house once a year, always in the first week or two of January. He was a no show though last year, and I was sorely disappointed we didn't get our annual visit by the creeper.


But, he came early this year and has stuck around for a week now.



But our creeper isn't a hunched over scary looking dude. It's the Brown Creeper, a reclusive little inconspicuous bird in the nuthatch family. And he scurries around the trunk of the tree upward, in circles. This little guy showed up just in time for the Christmas Bird Count, which Birdman backed out of! although I think we're heading for a reschedule.....just because of a little ice!


We also have had a bluebird that's been hanging around for a few days. Check back in a week for the complete birding list. Beware....the creeper!

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

First time visitor. Enjoyed your native "creeper". The are cute. Also your take on the loss of our wetlands. We get massive floods here on our little creeks and streams because.....

Anonymous said...

I can vividly recall the first time that I saw a brown creeper. It was on a tree in the Niles Michigan Mobile Home park that we first lived in when we got married. That will be thirty years ago this next year. I have been a bird watcher ever since!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...