14 January 2008

Random Acts of Kindness

I have this friend, the Blue Like Jazz guy, who moved to the west coast......but introduced me to the saying "random acts of kindness" a play on "random acts of violence". I like it. I've seen a bumper sticker or two with that saying on it. Sounds a little liberal-but Jesus-like.

It doesn't take much to do a random act of kindness to folks. Not much at all. And for all the hospitality we Hoosiers are purportedly famous for..........we could use a few more random acts. When I was out shooting pics New Year's Day, I happened upon this three wheel bike. Now those of you from river city recognize it I'm sure. Let me tell you a story-not to blow my own horn........but to show just how easy this can be.

An older gentleman who lives in a senior housing facility near our downtown, rides this bike around-all around-the greater downtown area, with his little crash helmet. About two years ago on my way home from work, I drove up to the scene of him overturned on his bike in front of our police station. I pulled over quickly and helped him up and set the old bike upright too. The handlebar was broken entirely off. I made sure he made it back to his apartment...he could spill out a string of curse words like a sailor (I don't know that sailors curse, but it is what we say, I guess). The next day I called the front office of his apartment building and asked if I could pay to fix his handlebars.....this bike is this guy's life. They said, sure, suspiciously-which made me think they thought it was I that ran him off the road. It cost me less than $10. He never knew who did this for him.

About a year ago he got his 3 wheeler stolen. A generous citizen outdid me and bought him a new bike. He got his life back. It's small things that make the difference in this world-whether it is being $10 generous or $300 generous.........or generous with little compliments to friends and family. We need to be more deliberate about seeking out opportunities for random acts of kindness........they are all around us, and admittedly, I've overlooked far too many than I care to acknowledge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you realize the value of a smile? There are people who go days without seeing someone smile at them. Not a fake grin but a genuine smile, one in which your eyes actually make contact. Now I am not trying to get all mushy but go over to the post office some morning and just hold the door for some old person or maybe even someone that you know doesn't speak much english, or just simply smile in ackownledgement of their humanity......two hearts will be briefly filled with happiness!

Anonymous said...

Good call Smiley!

Hoosier Reborn

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...