21 January 2008

pilgrimage to Wall-Mecca

I had the great joy and privilege of visiting my favorite place on earth-WalMart, last Friday night. The kids were with the grandparents, my wife and I got a little dessert and at about 9:00 pm I looked across the street and said, well, it's about 9 on a Friday night, the crazies should be at WalMart now, shall we join them?

I wanted some picture frames, and needed batteries for the camera. So, my once a year trip to WalMart came early this year, very early.

You take your life in your hands.......me and a little boy named Cletus nearly got ran over by his mother on one of those motorized carts. It was like a demolition derby in there with all the carts with diet-challenged folks whizzing past you. I was unable to locate long underwear at our previous stop-so I went looking-the fella browsing the XXL section moved over a little for me to find some smalls, then said "yep, reckon' near everyone will be needin' these tamarra". Indeed, 20 below wind chill-they did come in handy.

The self-scanner didn't work either. My wife says it's because I was along-she never has trouble. Do you think it scanned my resentment of the big box? As we left, I said, that's what you get for supporting WalMart.......who supports America by taking away the American dream, shipping jobs overseas to China so we can buy toys that will kill us. It is the American way.

Still-it's not as annoying as the tv commercial running for the Elkhart mall now........something about representing family values. How can a mall do that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toy Trivia....Germany dominated world toy sales until World War I, then the United States took over until Japan took over following World War II. Now thanks in part to Wall Mart and most favored nation status for China we have effectively gutted the American Toy Industry as we have so many others.....

PNW Hoosier said...

HR,
You will appreciate the following link.
http://www.jibjab.com/originals/big_box_mart

Anonymous said...

Been to jib jab "big box" and love it-funny because it is true.

HR

RoadDog said...

Being somewhat of a old and preservationist person myself, I have mixed feelings about Wal Mart and Walgreens.

I hate what a new Wal-Mart can do to an old downtown, and then there's Walgreens penchant for tearing down old buildings in order to obtain a corner.

However, I must admit to shopping at both stores, so I am kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...