22 January 2008

Lost on the Lincoln


I am an old roads aficionado. I made my family travel route 66 when my son was three and daughter only 10 months.......at least I had a blast. I'm fortunate four historic routes cris-cross our county......one being the Lincoln Highway. The good folks at the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association are attempting to get historic status for our stretch of road and, so, need to have the road and road architecture documented. This is right up my alley.

Well, I was supposed to have started this last fall when the temps were more agreeable. But, procrastinate as I did, found myself in subzero weather this weekend (the long underwear came in handy) driving, walking and taking lots of pictures. The cold detoured my fun in this.

In my travels, I have driven portions of the Lincoln across the state and into Ohio, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. I think it could be fun to do the whole road sometime-from New York to California. It is billed as America's first transcontinental highway, unveiled in 1912-Route 66 just has the kitch appeal. My enjoyment in it is the slowing down, taking in the scenery & culture, stopping at the mom & pops and meeting real folks. The poignant message of the harm in bypassing our small towns is found in a great little film called "Cars". While its made for kids, many older folk have told me they love it too.

149 pictures and over 100 structures later, our little stretch of the Lincoln has been documented. I thought I'd share a couple pictures with you, but I warn you, these aren't so artsy-it was dang cold!

8 comments:

Jim Grey said...

Good for you for driving the Lincoln in Indiana. Did you drive the original route (through Goshen and South Bend) or the later route (through Plymouth)?

I'm a roadfan myself and the Lincoln is on my list to do one of these days. The Michigan Road has my fancy right now, though.

Anonymous said...

I've driven most of both the earlier and 28 route in Indiana-my work was on the '28 section. I have a lot information on the Michigan road-unfortunately, very, very little has been written on it. I did an earlier entry on the Michigan Road-maybe August?

HR

Anonymous said...

September 12

HR

Jim Grey said...

I'm researching the MR now and you're right, not much is out there. I did see your earlier post about the road and that great photograph.

I grew up 4 blocks from the MR in South Bend and live in Indy now a half mile from it. I drive it whenever I visit family up north. I've never driven it south of old US 40, though, and will explore it when the weather turns.

Anonymous said...

Is that lunch room in Atwood? or maybe Etna Green?

Anonymous said...

The lunch room is in Inwood....but I think it's a home to someone now. Good luck with your travels on the Michigan Road-the section south of 40, especially Madison, is the best preserved section of road.

HR

RoadDog said...

Great pictures. Please feel free to post some more. I'd sure like to see them.

Do you belong to the LincolnHighway Association?

I understand the national convention will be in South Bend in 2009 and in Dixon,Illinois the year after.

Anonymous said...

Roaddog,

Welcome to HH. I'll post some more pics of the Lincoln for you. Thanks for the compliments on the snow pics too. As for WalMart and Walgreens...we are fortunate that they haven't been involved in any massacre of the downtown, but, they still take people away from it.

HR

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...