07 January 2008

Blue Like Jazz

If you look to the left, you'll notice a new book on my pick's list. I don't know that in the past six months I've added to that list at all-so that's got to tell you something about adding Blue. Blue Like Jazz, by Don Miller, is a great read for anyone who sometimes feels like they're on the outside of much of the main stream approach to Christianity. Miller calls his book a non-Christian perspective on the faith. It's good......it makes you think about much of how we have traditionally approached Christianity as a religion and how that has separated us from the people Christ has called us to.

He takes swipes at fundamentalists and republicans, a background both he and I share. BUT does so in a way that leaves you contemplating your own relevance and effectiveness to a world in need of Christ, in deed, not just in word. He'll make you laugh but comes back with some very poignant statements about the church and our interaction with others. He actually reminds me of a friend, and reader, who has relocated in the Pacific Northwest. Are you using a nom de' plur?

Get it and read it.

3 comments:

PNW Hoosier said...

Not sure how many of your friends have relocated here, but I will take a look around for the book

Anonymous said...

PNW-
Actually was talking about another deserter, but non-native Hoosier. I've got four of you guys in the Seattle area-it may warrant a trip sometime!

Read the book anyway.

Hoosier Reborn

PNW Hoosier said...

I believe I said as much when I was home this summer. The wife picked up a book for the G-man this Christmas that you should get for your son, The Dangerous Book for Boys. It will bring back good childhood memories.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...