08 October 2008

Pinhook Church

I know, I'm on a run here with old churches. I recently came across this gem, which is particularly early for Indiana, and certainly so for this part of the state. My business travels took me to the tiny village of Pinhook in LaPorte County where I came across the Pinhook Methodist Church, constructed in 1847. The small frame building has to thank for its heroines two older ladies by the names of Phyllis and Julia, who weren't about to let it slip into just the memories of townsfolk.

A fellow by the name of William Garwood donated the land in 1846 for the purpose of a church stating "I give this land for the purpose of a church. It shall be used for that purpose forever and forever". Carpenters by the names of McLung and Barnard built the Greek-Revival structure......McLung being the first to be buried in the nearby cemetery in 1850. The building did serve "forever" as a church until 1968; but even now can be used for weddings and special events....and they aren't bashful at all about showing her off.

The Pinhook Church is now seeking National Register status, being the oldest existing church structure in LaPorte County, and maybe much of Northern Indiana. I was pleased to see the care given to the outside of the building, but marveled at the quality of care and restoration given to the inside.

"Pinhook" was actually a derogatory name given to the village of New Durham, established in 1837, by a rival community in the 1840's. But, Pinhook stuck, as the case may be.......the rival village of Flood's Grove, however, has been washed off the maps.

Kudos to the sentries of Pinhook Church.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable!

hoosier reborn said...

yeah, on an old Indian trail that became-the Chicago trail, I think, that then became the Lincoln Highway.

Hey, you should come up to our annual meeting at the church our group is restoring....Oct. 18.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...