06 February 2008

why your vote doesn't count


yes, that's a photo of the Oval Office I took myself

With a fair amount of interest I have been watching the rest of the country make the decision for me, for who my next president will be. Being a firm believer in democracy.......or at least, how democracy ideally should work.........I have to admit my utter disgust at our inability in Indiana to actually make our vote count in a presidential primary.

I'm for a true national primary. It only seems right that we all participate equally, on the same day, how our delegates should be cast rather than someone "gaining momentum" so that like sheep we cast our lot with the supposed front-runner. Eight years ago, even though it was obvious who the nominee would be, I still cast my vote for the other guy.....who happens to be the front runner today........who I probably won't vote for in the primary this time.

The interesting race unfolding is that of the democratic nominee for president. And I believe, if you don't look at delegates, but at percentages on the republican side an interesting picture of America begins to emerge here too. It would appear that there are six very different philosophies existing in the american culture represented by the six lead candidates together.

Mccain-conservative, maverick, does not toe the GOP line
Clinton-liberal, elitist, we'll take care of you
Romney-elitist conservative, let everyone get walked on by my pals
Obama-not this or that....wants unity & ethics
Huckabee-conservative, but socially conscious, like the changing face of evangelicals
Paul-this and that, don't tell anybody what to do, amoral

And each of these have their following. I believe the first three are a bit of the old school, although Mccain as a maverick appeals to me. Obama captures the spirit of where many young americans may want the future of the country to be. Huckabee may represent the changing face of evangelicals (no wonder Robertson did NOT endorse him), a sizeable base commonly tied to, but increasingly disappointed with, the GOP. Paul represents a generation of young voters clashing with the norms of either party, but in my opinion, not experienced enough to understand what the outcome of his ideals would be.

So, as this younger generation matures and the face of evangelicals change, will we see a demand for a third party? Many in my generation-or about 40ish and younger-can't find a true home in either camp, even though we would consider ourselves conservative. Does party matter? Well, it does when those are the only two choices we have......and, unfortunately, in Indiana, we don't even have a voice in that!

Your thoughts? Who would you vote for, forgetting the "momentum"?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I am undecided....as your not so often liberal "liberal" friend I am actually hoping that I can cast a meaningful ballot in the primary for Obama...it is not about ideology it is about the power of the spoken word and what I feel is a need to end the bush/clinton/bush/clinton? era, it has been an ugly time in America. Since I am several years your elder I remember the power and spirit that could have been possible had a young man not been gunned down in 1968. Obama could possibly end the ugliness and perhaps the rest of the world would see us actually practicing what we are preaching around the world. But now my problem...I am enough of a hawk to know full well that we will be in Iraq for 100 years, yes boys and girls we are never coming home! We are building what is the largest air force base outside the US in Balad Iraq just miles from the Iranian border so we can keep tabs on Iran! John McCain understands that we cannot walk away from the mess the Donald Rumsfeld and Smiling George has created!

Anonymous said...

Can you please clarify what you are referencing about amoral?

Anonymous said...

I guess I view Paul, and I have to admit I only know what I've read of him in the press and why two of my younger friends like him, as the kind of guy who is simply hands off-regardless of ethics or outcome of his beliefs if inacted. For example: it was reported that Paul believes government should not have regulations on prostitution. Hands off. I view that as a moral issue-and to him, I would hope, he probably believes it is wrong also-BUT, here's the key thing, he evidently doesn't believe the government should make that decision. So it is an a-moral approach to government. That's dangerous in my mind. Sadly, my two young friends I don't think understand that. Paul also accepted donations from a brothel owner in Nevada (he did well in that state's primary) and from a known Klan member in Louisiana, (I believe). Which, to me, speaks to his own ethics.

My young friends don't understand the ramifications of government devoid of ethics. Of course, they live here in River City, so they should.

HR

Anonymous said...

As a newly registered Democrat, I plan to vote for Obama in the Primary. If the general is McCain/Clinton, I'll vote for McCain. If the general is McCain/Obama, I'll probably vote for Obama, but won't be disappointed if McCain wins. McCain has my respect and admiration for standing up to the conservative/talk radio base, but Obama represents the future and even though he's more liberal than I am, I don't think he's an ideolog. Plus, after 8 years of unintelligible Bush-speak, it would be so refreshing to have a leader who is so articulate and inspiring. My worst nightmare was a Romney/Clinton election. Pheww.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but congratulations to the newly registered democrat. Several years ago I may have viewed you as a soldier in the army of darkness; but wisdom has finally found me and I am very glad to hear you've registered regardless of party.

The McCain vs. Obama race is probably the best I could hope for. I too shuttered at the thought of Hillary vs. Romney or Gulliani for that matter. If the dems are wise they will continue to push Obama through because there are many of us conservatives who could be convinced to vote for him over McCain, but no way with Hillary.

I too like McCain's stand-ups to the party establishment, but also agree, it is time to look to the future.

HR

PNW Hoosier said...

HR,

I am sitting here somewhat in disbelief at your last comment. Your last statement really reflects how far your philsophy has changed over the years as I recall taking a lot of flak from you and a couple of others for voting outside the GOP establishment back in 92. Wiser with age now?

Anonymous said...

My decision to switch from republican to dem was based more on local politics than national. Although, the Bush administration made it an easier decision for me. I live in one of those one-party cities, where if you want to vote for mayor or city council you have to vote in the Democratic Primary. Usually, the choices are so bad that I didn't care to switch parties to vote. This year, however, we actually had a good candidate running, so I switched parties and volunteered for his campaign. I'm happy to say, the good candidate won and we finally have a mayor more committed to serving the people than serving corruption. We're hopeful.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...