26 February 2008

Happy Birthday Doc!

In honor of former Governor Doc Bowen's 90th birthday today, I wanted to post an excerpt from an introduction I gave for him a few years ago, on the National Day of Prayer.

Rather than regale you with excerpts of his political past-I want to relay a personal story that maybe sums up his character better than a lengthy resume.
Doc Bowen's an IU fan-not a newsflash there. He took my brother and I to games at Assembly Hall when Bobby was still king and all was right with the world. On one occasion, a boy and his mother came and found their seats in front of us. Before they sat down, Doc stood up and introduced them to us. I reached out to shake the boy's hand and Doc said, "this is Ryan White"

Doc continued talking with Ryan, pulling him close to hear over the fans-obviously speaking words of encouragement to a boy who faced constant rejection and fear of the unknown. As I thought of this years later, I realized Doc's response was not so different than Christ's response to the leper.

While the crowds and political and religious leaders of the time made outcasts of the suffering, Jesus pulled them near and spoke healing words-not just to their bodies, but to their spirits. Doc spoke healing words to Ryan that day. I'm sure it meant more to Ryan White to have someone care for him, than care he was the former Governor and Cabinet member.

Only if our leaders today exemplified the same humility and concern for others Doc has lived out, this world would be a better place. We need to pray for that to happen.

Happy Birthday Doc..........you continue to be Indiana's favorite son!

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...