08 February 2008

reroute on the GAR

If you would indulge me, I'd like to take a little detour from the Lincoln Highway and head down the Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Highway, Route 6-which also passes through our corner of the state and past my old stomping grounds. GAR? What's this you ask?

The highway began as an entity in November of 1926 when the U.S. adopted the numbering system for marking the nation's main interstate highways. Prior to 1926 it was called the Midland Trail Roadway. During the late 20s and early 30s it was known as the Roosevelt Highway, after my hero-Teddy. At first, U.S. 6 was a short route running between Provincetown on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, to Brewster, New York. Over the years it was extended in stages to transcontinental length as improved roadways moved westward. It was in 1937 that the U.S. approved the extension of Route 6 to Long Beach, California making it the longest U.S. Route in the country, until U.S. 20 was constructed. Before that time, Route 6 was still just a patchwork of mis-matched highways. Route 6 is still the second longest route in the country.

The GAR Highway passes through the little towns of Bremen, Lapaz and Walkerton in our part of the state. Bremen, aka mint city, once hosted a stop called the coffee pot restaurant. The building was essentially a metal silo with add-ons to make it look like a coffee pot! I vaguely remember it, but my grandparents frequented it often. Lapaz had three important stops at the crossroads with the Dixie Highway. The Alibi Restaurant, the Dixiana, and Garners all vied for travelers at the corners of 6 & 31. While Garners was reconstructed east of the intersection, the other buildings are gone now. Garners was formerly the Maddox Inn from about 1925-1949 when the Garner family took over operations (picture above) until it closed in 1996. Walkerton hosted one grand stop only recently lost to fire-Welco's-at the east edge of town. More on the GAR to come!

For more information on the Grand Army of the Republic Highway, visit http://www.route6tour.com/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HR I know some people who either ran or their family ran the coffee pot I will get some details for you

PNW Hoosier said...

I was unaware that Welco's burned. I ate more than a couple meals there when working as a reserve officer for Walkerton.

Anonymous said...

Pictures of the coffee pot would be great! I think I have one from the inside.

PW-I think Welcos burnt just in the last 18 months-but time flies, so not sure.

Unfortunately-not much nostalgia left on route 6.

HR

RoadDog said...

Always appreciate photos as well.

Of course, I'm interested in any and all road stuff.

Teri said...

Does anyone know the history of the Dixiana Cafe in LaPaz? I am curious as to previous owners and names of the place.

hoosier reborn said...

Let me check with my dad-he may still remember since their family business was across the street. The Dixiana later became Mac's Market, owned by the McCartney family. When Burger King was constructed the old Dixiana was moved to the county road southwest of the site and made into apartments.

HR

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...