07 February 2008

LH watering hole

Now, I have no problem admitting I've never frequented "the Mayflower"; but here's another little piece of nostalgia from the Lincoln Highway in Plymouth, Indiana (get it? Mayflower/ Plymouth?). The Mayflower was built between about 1929-32, shortly after the 28' route came through Plymouth. And it's always been known as the Mayflower............to go along with its colorful reputation in this little city. While its original siding was covered about 40 years ago, it still retains its Spanish revival style parapet and the neon "liquor" sign over the doorway. And it is always busy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee I feel bad no one has commented on the Mayflower! I was in there on time, a friend of mine from Chicago had unexpectedly come to see us and he insisted on buying a six pack of beer so in we went....as I recall I stood near the door and backed out!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh come on! certainly someone else has a Mayflower story!!! Plymouth's second city hall where all that is wrong with our schools and government are solved without the aid of a sober mind!

Anonymous said...

It is funny you assume that sober minded folk are making decisions at the first city hall or school board meetings!

I know of individuals, in the past, and possibly present, who would challenge that line of thinking!

HR

Anonymous said...

Ah! good one! I do know of a past school board member who routinely fell asleep! and a new councilman who hits it pretty hard!

Anonymous said...

that's why we got trouble.....right here in river city!

HR

Anonymous said...

The Mayflower. Sounds like my kind of place. I can imagine sitting at the bar chatting with the old timers and enjoying the local flavor over a cold brew.

Anonymous said...

last responder,

Sounds like you're from out of town...should you choose to visit, you might let your loved ones know the exact time and location of your visit, and when you would expect to be returning home; along with local emergencey numbers....you know, just in case. And enjoy a cold one for me too.

HR

Anonymous said...

This dialogue has reminded me of a great story I'll post regarding a visitor to town who was looking for a bar.

We'll start with that one on Monday.

HR

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...