28 February 2008

time for Christians to abandon the GOP

If anyone has been reading this blog for long.....you'll understand this was coming.

I was reading a news report yesterday regarding the passage of a bill that would allow gaming in Indiana's bars. While the measure was introduced by Senate Democrats-it narrowly passed with the help of Senate Republicans. What kind of atmosphere are we creating here in the Hoosier state? I would imagine that Indiana ranks pretty high with New Jersey and Nevada with reliance on gambling revenue for state budgeting. I dare say we are becoming the armpit of the midwest between teenage pregnancies, alchohal and drug use, tobacco use, education and now this!

Like I've said before.....we should change our license plates to "In God we Trust......and if that doesn't work, Gambling".

I believe with the lines being blurred, particularly with the current presidential race, the time is here for applying a better understanding of one's faith and how that relates to one's vote. We don't need Pat Robertson trying guide us like sheep to the voting booth (of course, we see how his influence has dwindled-remember, he endorsed Guilliani?). Nor should we be suckered into voting R when the candidates do not truly represent our faith. Wake up people!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HR...? I understand your frustation I have similar issues with my party...but consider the need for that group you call "Christians" to examine who it is that they believe they are. Does excluding others outside of that defined group really follow the teachings of Christ? When does it become religious bigotry? I really believe that if we Christians would really follow the example set by Christ we would not allow ourselves to be pigeon-holed or stereo-typed in such a way that any striped politician could automatically assume that we are "fer or agin em" Is it right for Christians to hate Muslims? or should we, by living a Christ-like life show them silently a better way? I am afraid that you will suggest that we create a third party but how big are willing to allow the tent to be???????

Anonymous said...

I'm not advocating for a "christian" party at all. A third party, maybe, with intelligent and caring folks from both sides joining the growing base of independents.

What I am hoping happens is that christians wake up and realize when they blindly vote republican, they might just be putting in some pretty immoral or unethical individuals who don't give a dang about modeling Christ.

Actually modeling Christ is pretty anti-republican. I'm not sure how we've gotten to where we are!

HR

Anonymous said...

This is were labeling gets dangerous....liberal is now evil and conservative is right? Were the founding fathers liberal or conservative??? I bet to the loyalists they seemed awfully liberal! Yet today Rush and Pat claim them as conservative christians! They kept slaves, whored with them,produced the majority of their wealth from the production of spirits, and believed that only persons who owned land were worthy of the vote? oh wait they were republicans!

Anonymous said...

then maybe the title of the article should have been-wake up christians, you AREN'T republicans!

Labels.....

this is why I can't win as a republican and can't run as a democrat.

HR

Anonymous said...

I heard an interesting description of this years election....there are yes we can candidates and no we can't candidates.....the inspired newly involved voters are wanting to hear something positive from our leaders and not more from, the no we can't crowd! Obama is no Jack Kennedy or Bobby Kennedy at least not yet but I feel our nation is yearning for someone to inspire us to be better and not scare us and make us hateful like our current President has done.....

Anonymous said...

I think Obama does represent that "spirit" of coming together, of inspiration needed to pull this country forward in a meaningful way. As much as I like McCain, he and Hillary both represent something we need to leave behind. AND so does Mitch in my mind. I think a good many people do not want to consider themselves anti-it goes to the deeper image of who we are created to be like....whether we know Him or not.

HR

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...