03 December 2007

tree hunting at Lowes

Yes, that's right, you read the headline correctly. We went to Lowes for our Christmas tree-or Holiday tree-I can't remember what they call it now. At least we didn't go to WalMart.

the picture on the right is from more authentic times

In my defense, my brother's family sent word that the place our family has gotten our tree my entire life had closed. There's been a time or two when we would go to a different place to cut down a real tree.........but it was nearly always Klotz's-way out there in the country, down the bumpy county road, over the creek and past my great grandparent's place. Yes, those were the good 'ol days, walking through the snow until your fingers and nose were numb-trying to find that perfect tree.

Well, there was no numb fingers or nose this season. We found the first tree-which was almost purchased until my son noted the crown was broken-my grandparent's star wouldn't stay on that. So, we found another, put it on a big cart, pushed it past home and garden supplies, past door and cabinet hardware, past paint supplies, then finally past lighting to check-out. The clerk scanned the tag and wished us a Merry Christmas.

Something just didn't seem right about all this. I think we'll be looking for a new Christmas tree farm for next year. But none of those commercialized places-that's not quite right either.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...