24 January 2009

the alien within

A few years back I did something a little stupid. We have this 150 year old basement that really needed to be cleaned out, so I thought, so one late fall Saturday I spent the morning with a shop vac cleaning the dark crevices of the dungeon. Built with field stone, our basement has loose lime mortar (practically dust), some asbestos tape around the duct work, probably some mold, coal dust from the old furnace and no doubt lead dust from the poor job of painting that was attempted maybe 50 years ago. With shop vac in hand, one could barely see their way as clouds of dust lofted through the basement air. This is what we preservationists call collateral damage.

And I, without a dust mask.

After I was done, and after much coughing and gasping, I noticed late that afternoon that a peculiar rash had developed on my chest. Hmmm, this is odd, never had a rash before. So I called my doctor friend who said, well, with all that stuff floating around, you probably got some of it irritating the skin. OK, that sounded logical.

But then the rash showed two more times while fighting off some flu symptoms-at which the doctor investigated, but figured it was just a reaction to the fever. And then it showed up again last week...this time I really didn't feel sick. The odd thing about this rash is that it clearly is not topical, but a reaction under the skin........and the other thing is that it shows up in random large areas perfectly symmetrical across my chest and back.


So, now starting to become a little more concerned (I wanted to be certain that I was not contagious to the poor folks who crashed here last week when their gas had to be turned off), I contacted the doc again and this time he asked me to email pictures. He said the pics were confusing. The rash lasted about 2 days, as it normally does...it doesn't itch or burn...it's just there. So, I went on WebMD....which was confusing to me, but offers a way to send in pictures, so I'm thinking about it. WebMD is a dangerous thing really.

The next time I plan to try to connect the dots to see if there is a message. But what I'm really hoping for is the image of the Virgin Mary to appear so that I can charge people to take off my shirt. I am a little freaked that some kind of microscopic bug has taken up residence in this host and gets a little agitated whenever I spike a fever.

And I always wear a dust mask now.....to keep out the little bugger's alien friends.

4 comments:

Kevin Flick said...

ummm...thanks for making sure you did pass your rash on to us. you didn't right? :) we all did have this weird rash now that you mention it. JUST KIDDING!

hoosier reborn said...

uh, if you connect the dots and it forms a giant "O" then you've got my Obamaidis.

Anonymous said...

I fear that you are suffering from the rare but incurable River City Rot! Victims have injested river side mud that contains remnants of any of a number of farm animals that were converted to feed and fed back to their very brethren. An upstream facility that gave River City its CB moniker of "stink city" back in the late 60's and 70's. While not contageous you will suffer the effects for the remainder of your life!

Anonymous said...

get it "in jest"ed!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...