16 January 2009

(fool)Hardy Midwesterners

Catching CBS news last night, one reporter commented that "even hardy Midwesterners are struggling with the bitter cold". Which got me thinking.

OK, I've not heard the official low of river city last night, but only a few miles west of here it got down to 26 below Zero....real temps. Wind chills over 40 below.

Did you catch that? 26 below 0?

Think with me. If it were 86 degrees we'd be near sweltering, right? And at 60 degrees we've at least got a sweatshirt on, if not a coat, long pants and thinking it's a bit nippy. That's the same difference between Zero and -26!

So are we Midwesterners hardened to the cold, or are we just fool-hardy for living in this....well, I was going to say ice box, but that doesn't do it justice does it? Tonight it is to be a balmy 4 below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I justify living here when it gets like this by saying we are a Hardier Breed, capable of surviving not only the bitter cold but the humid heat of August covered in mosquito's! and then I realize we are just out of our minds!!!!!!!!!!!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...