15 January 2009

how Republican are you?

While you might not expect that I was a die-hard republican at one time (the first 24 years of my life), I thought I’d give you a glimpse of HR in all his former conservative glory, I think you'll be amused:

My highschool locker was decked out with republican paraphernalia including pictures of Ronald Reagan and campaign junk of all sorts.

While a senior in highschool I “interviewed” to assist in the GOP candidate’s mayoral campaign for river city.

People thought I was a live version of Alex P. Keaton

I received a request for a donation to the Reagan campaign. I framed it.

My grandfather met with Reagan once and brought back a jelly bean from his desk. I still have the jelly bean.

When Newt and his “contract with America” won a landslide in 92; I likened it to God’s salvation for America.

In architecture studio I constructed a shrine to Ronald Reagan and burned candles and incense in front of a large picture of him.

I assisted in a R congressional campaign when just 19.

I attended the start-up of the young republicans club in river city when 20

I attended the start-up of the young republicans at university

I suggested once to my folk’s employees that they could take off work to vote only if they were going to vote republican. I was 15.

I glared at a democratic congressional candidate when I saw him in a restaurant

I have several of Reagan’s inaugurations and addresses to congress on video tape

I drove around for the longest time with a “don’t blame me, I voted republican” sticker in my car during the Clinton administration (I don’t think I’d take that back though)

I never, ever missed a chance to listen to Rush Limbaugh

I never missed a chance to argue the stupidity of the democrat party

I got choked up at Nixon's funeral

Just a short time ago, during a rant on Mitch, a friend said to me that maybe I was just holding a grudge and I responded by saying maybe I’ve just had my eyes opened.

Praise God I’ve had my eyes opened…..it may have made me a cynic, but rather to be a cynic than be willingly ignorant of the truth. It isn’t about D’s and R’s, but about “we the people” coming together to form “a more perfect union”. To that end no one party has all the right answers. The more important goal should be wrestling away power from the few and allowing the many to govern themselves. What would that look like?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you and I have had similar journeys (sans Alex P. Keaton). I still consider myself conservative (with a tinge of liberterian), except I don't believe the Republican Party represents conservative ideals much more, if any, than the Dems these days. I think the turning point for me came during the Terri Shiavo fiasco. I was stunned at how many Republicans were so willing (and emphatic in their willingness) to throw the Constitution out the window when it didn't suit their own personal or religious views. I liken it to a conversion experience, where the scales fall off the eyes and you begin to see things in a whole new light. That's not to say the Dems are much better, but I feel much more optimistic with Obama leading the country. He has already demonstrated to be a leader who values intellectual curiosity and rigor, pragmatism and coalition-building. So far, he appears to be more interested in governing rather than political posturing. We'll see how the next 4 (8) years go. In the meantime, I have hope that the Republican Party will eventually find their souls/brains again and stop with the craziness.

Anonymous said...

HR this is birdman, Jeff has hit it on the head..."values intellectual curiosity and rigor,pragmatism and coalition-builing"...."governing rather than political posturing". As one of your Dem friends, I have to agree 100% with him on his assessment of both Parties!

hoosier reborn said...

I've no doubt that Obama will make mistakes, but clearly there is a pendulum that has swung to far to the right-not in conservative values-but in defiance to democratic and true Christian principles. Jeff-read Myth of a Christian Nation...life changing.

I have an audio clip from TR on my playlist I plan to post on soon-appropoe for today.

Anonymous said...

Myth of a Christian Nation is next on my reading list. Another book I want to read is Andrew Sullivan's "The Conservative Soul". He argues that Christian fundamentalism has co-opted and corrupted conservatism and that both the Church and conservatism need, what he calls, a theology of doubt.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...