19 November 2007

Yeller-bellied

I may very well start a sister-blog dealing solely with naturalist topics from the Hoosier state because I realize this entry folks may not care much about.....but it was pretty exciting around our house Saturday.

We had just gotten home in the afternoon from a large indoor farm market and were preparing to head out to eat when I glanced out the window at our feeder and thought wonder what that could be?

Now, I've told you we're birders. And I would rate my ability-and even that of our kids, a little better than average for identifying birds. So, I checked and rechecked-but what we had for a little feathered visitor was a female Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker. Very rare in this area-and my guess was heading south and maybe was a little off her well-traveled migration path. We've also had a pair of Red-Breasted Nuthatches hanging around for the last three weeks-certainly not as unusual, but birds we don't typically have. I hope they plan to stay all winter. For you birders out there-I bet your jealous!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey did you take that photo?

Anonymous said...

nope-didn't take it. I attempted some photos until the bird finally got spooked from the flashes and left. I'll post the pics I took-but I'm afraid they will look like the elusive bigfoot photos.

Hoosier Reborn

Anonymous said...

ah ha! so you are one of those birders who "claims" to have added a sighting to their life list and all you have is a grainy film like those of UFO spotters.... I will only trust your wife have her confirm the sighting for me :)! Have you noticed all of the crows and gulls around town? is Alfred Hitchcock moving to town???????

Anonymous said...

I think Hitchcock came to town with the elections.....and if you believe in the apocolypse-the increase in vultures should be alarming too.

all due to the republican take-over!!!

Hoosier Reborn

Anonymous said...

a little fatalistic are we today! Perhaps the crows and gulls are here because of all the land fills in the area!! Have you noticed that the gulls first appear in numbers as the blueberry festival is going on....they are attracted to all of the trash on the ground....they are getting to be flying rats!

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...